Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Wonderful are Your works!!!

Psalm 139:13-14 For You formed my inward parts; You wove me in my mother's womb. 14 I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are Your works, And my soul knows it very well.

Amen.

Wow, our Father did another incredible work, He has been working on her for a while, and He revealed her to us Monday, July 21, 2008 at 12:12 am. Emily Kathryn Henderson made her debut!

Thanks to all who have been praying and thinking about our family over the last many months. I remember coming home one day, a few days before Liz and I were to leave for Limbe, Haiti with FC, and Liz telling me she thought she was pregnant - what joy. I was able to see evidences of this over the last 8 months, but finally my hope was realized this past Monday morning.

Sunday was the start of Jr. Week 4 here at Frontier Camp. Sunday night campfire came and went. After campfire, I lead a support staff meeting that culminates with a Bible study. I had fininshed all of the administrative details and was just beginning to start the Bible study at 10:00 pm, when Liz called me to come home.

I ran home and found her standing in the bath tub, she simply said, "I think my water broke..." Not expecting to go through this for another few weeks, we had not yet packed for the hospital. So, we quickly grabbed what we thought we might need and jumped in the car (I almost forgot the car seat...). We made it to Memorial Hermann in The Woodlands around 11:45 pm.

We rushed into the birth center and after a quick look at Liz, they rushed her into the delivery room. At 12:12 am, Emily Kathryn was born!!! All the medical staff on hand (a couple of doctors and a handful of nurses) were all amazed at how well Liz did and how quickly everything happened for Liz's first delivery. Emily weighed in at 6 lbs 2 oz and is 19" long.

The next 24 hours consisted of spots of sleeping, feeding, and learning a bunch of new stuff. There were different tests for Emily, too, all of which she passed with flying colors - taking after her mother already. We were discharged Tuesday morning, and after a new parent class (which we really enjoyed) we were on our way home!

Emily has settled in and is such a joy. She is more than enough evidence for our Wonderful Creator and Lord and for His grace. She gentle and sweet (even when she cries).

Thanks to all for the wonderful gifts and blessings that we have all received. Our family is so thankful for all of our friends and family - I cannot think of a better way to see a new life come into this world.

I am not a proud father, but a thankful one. I am thankful that my Lord Jesus Christ created Emily according to His perfect will. I am thankful that He has allowed Liz and I to be her parents (and I am thankful that I get to do this parent thing with Liz). I am thankful for the provision the Lord has so graciously and bountifully given - the provision of family and friends, whose generosity still has not ceased.

These are my thoughts after a few days of fatherhood. Don't worry, Liz is going to post some pictures very soon.

Thank you all.

Because of Christ,
Matt - the new dad

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i love this post! so sweet!